October 23, 2014, 02:55:03 AM

Author Topic: Modifying your Modern Warfare 2 Config File  (Read 67800 times)

Offline BigShay

• Site Owner
  • Colonel
  • My hands are shaking!
Modifying your Modern Warfare 2 Config File
« on: November 12, 2009, 02:43:10 AM »
Here's a list of the few things I was able to modify which make the game feel a bit better.  All these are in your config_mp.cfg file which is a hardware config file and should not be considered a VAC bannable offense.  That said, change at your own risk!  On Windows 7 x64 the file is listed here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2\players\config_mp.cfg

seta drawLagometer "1"  (BTW, you will not see the lagometer if you are the host)
seta com_maxfps "76" (many people use 125 here)
seta cl_maxpackets "77" (many people use 100 here)
seta snaps "30"

Perhaps Regs or someone can find where the details to what all of these mean, I can't find it.  I know BashAndSlash had a good one.

And the following will give you a nice easier representation of what the actual ping your getting is.  The default is to have 4 bars, each representing 100ms.  I changed it to 10 bars, each representing 40ms.  If you had 4 bars(dark green) before, you were getting anywhere between 100 - 0 ms ping, 3 bars (light green) you were getting between 200 - 100 ms ping, etc.  Now the new way 8 bars means your at about 80 ping, 7 bars means your getting 120 ms ping, etc.

seta cg_ScoresPing_Interval "40"
seta cg_ScoresPing_MaxBars "10"

http://www.shaytastic.com/BigShay/files/pingbars.jpg

Offline Regs

• Colonel
  • // generated by Infinity Ward, do not modify
Re: Modifying your Modern Warfare 2 Config File
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:55:31 PM »
Here's some good generic information on the Quake 3 engine cl_maxpackets and com_maxfps settings.

http://forum.drc.su/quake-iii-cl-maxpackets-sv-fps-and-com-maxfps-explained-vt1103.html

And here is the ever popular jump calculator.  If you ever wonder what packets setting to use with what max fps setting, this is the place to go.

http://www.funender.com/quake/articles/fps.html

Here's the Bash write up on finding what they call the "sweet spot".

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=63

I think they have another Funender link in there to some more generic Q3 connection information.

I haven't had a chance to tweak out MW2 yet.  I'm curious to see how increasing your packet rate will work on a listen server.  It makes more sense on a dedicated fat pipe but there might be drawbacks if your connection is not robust to the host.

On CoD4 I liked to use com_maxfps 125 and cl_maxpackets 63.

Offline Regs

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »
Ok so here is the deal, if it's in the config_mp.cfg and you could change it in COD4, you can pretty much still change it now in MW2.  The problem is adding stuff that doesn't exist like cg_drawfps, r_drawdecals, r_fastsky etc.  This stuff will freak out MW2 and your config file will go bye bye.  

Below I've posted what I've changed in my config_mp.cfg file.  Some of it is for framerate and some is for preference.  Please note i'm not sure if all of things things actually have an effect in MW2 but I was able to change them all the same.

seta ai_corpseCount "0"
seta cg_blood "0"
seta cg_brass "0"
seta cg_hudDamageIconInScope "1"
seta cg_hudGrenadeIconEnabledFlash "1"
seta cl_maxpackets "63"
seta com_maxfps "125"
seta fx_marks "0"
seta fx_marks_ents "0"
seta fx_marks_smodels "0"
seta r_aaAlpha "off"
seta r_altModelLightingUpdate "1"
seta r_dlightLimit "0"
seta r_drawSun "0"
seta r_drawWater "0"
seta r_fastSkin "1"
seta r_glow_allowed "0"
seta r_multiGpu "1"
seta r_texFilterAnisoMax "1"
seta sm_maxLights "0"
seta r_zFeather "0"
set snaps "30"

I think r_zfeather was actually already at zero which is strange.  That's the smoke smoothing setting which is usually enabled.

Offline BigShay

• Site Owner
  • Colonel
  • My hands are shaking!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:55:36 AM »
Yeah, that's the BASH one I've always used.  Thanks!

Offline BigShay

• Site Owner
  • Colonel
  • My hands are shaking!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »
Wow Regs, I just noticed how much crap you turned off...water, blood, brass, etc.  Probably looks like CS:Source now.  I'm too much of a graphics whore.

BTW, can you tell if the host servers are capping the snaps at 20?

Offline BigShay

• Site Owner
  • Colonel
  • My hands are shaking!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »
Well the game seems to be resetting MaxFPS to 85 every time you join and leave the game.  Also, MaxPackets is no longer in the config_mp.cfg file so I don't know what it is set at (probably the default 30)?  I haven't touched anything since I noticed these changes but snaps hasn't been affected although the host server probably only runs at 20 so me setting it to 30 probably does nothing.

That being said, the lagometer doesn't appear as bad as it did the day the game came out.  Seems odd.....poopindapants !!

Offline Regs

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 11:00:02 PM »
I don't think I ever figured out a good way to check the server snaps settings on COD4.  Most run at the default 20 frames per second or snaps.  A few COD4 servers out there probably run at 30.

I can't say I'm suprised about the lockdown of com_maxfps and cl_maxpackets.  I actually thought those would be frozen out of the gate to preserve the "smoother" experience that I am yet to experience.

In anticipation of this day, I haven't been using any tweaks in my MW2 config to get used to watching 90fps.  Looks pretty ugly at 60hz.  I think maybe I need a monitor upgrade.

So if it's stuck at 90 fps and 30 maxpackets that's going to be what, 1 packet every three frames?  Probably makes sense from the listen server bandwidth standpoint.

Offline Nigrodamus

• Private
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:48:11 AM »
I just made my first foray into modifying my config_Mp file last night and though i kept it simple I saw a major boost in my gameplay with changing one option. MAX_FPS 0

I game with a Laptop which has a Quadro FX1600M  (512MB pretty weak by current standards) but in COD5 i went from 30ish FPS to 60-130FPS by setting the MAX FPS to 0. So comparatively I recieved what i considered as a major boost in COD5 by setting the MAX FPS to ZERO  (meaning unlocked).

My Mw2 was video lagging so bad i could rarely get over 6 or 7 kills per map.  I leveled up to 60 playing this way and just had it. I was either going to Fix the Problem or go out to the sidewalk and curb stomp this Failure of a Game.

I compared my config file with that on Bash and Slash and mine had many things including the MAX FPS missing (not listed).

I backed up my config_mp, I looked at theirs and inserted a direct copy of their default Max Fps command which showed the default value of 85 and i changed 85 to 0.

Zero unlocks it, which is best for my gaming on a marginal laptop.  I will take any frame rate from 50-100 versus the 30ish range which i had appeared to be getting.

I instantly noticed a better looking game, and was able to hit the people i shot at.

It makes a difference that was unbelieveable to me.

Today i think i will foray into the world of the FOV and other things that improved my play on COD5.

Offline BigShay

• Site Owner
  • Colonel
  • My hands are shaking!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 10:18:31 AM »
Welcome to the site.

That is weird that you weren't able to get higher than 30 with the default setting which is 85.  Also, you are correct, it's not in there anymore.  The bastards took it out to keep people from messing with it I assume.  I noticed that mine was changing back to the default on me after opening and closing the game, so keep an eye out for that.

Offline Regs

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »
Ok so I'm back to tweaking my MW2 config_mp.cfg.  Wasn't getting nearly enough FPS on Rundown, Estate, and few others.

They've removed the big three, com_maxfps, cl_maxpackets, and cg_fov so I'm pretty sure those can't be changed or will default back to the original values.

Snaps is still in there but there is really no point in changing that because it's never going to be anything but 20 thanks to IWNET.

Nigrodamus, everything I posted in earlier in the thread still works.  You might want to try changing those values to squeeze out a few more FPS.

Yeah the visuals will hurt, but some things are actually advantages.  r_distortion is a big one and so is r_dof_enable.  Also the textures will still look pretty good.

Sometimes your target recognitition might suffer from shadows and specular mapping turned off but it's not too bad.  Just depends on the situation.

Offline Regs

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:10:56 AM »
Dang it.  Once I start tweaking, I can't stop.  The wife is going to kill me if I don't get to sleep soon but here are my rock bottom barebones no eye candy fps pumping config changes.

Of course you'll want to turn AA off in the advanced config options first.  Actually you can turn everything off in those, though I think I have most of them covered below.  Leave the texture settings alone in the Advanced config.  No need to change those.  Couple of preference tweaks thrown in here too.

seta ai_corpseCount "0"
seta cg_blood "0"
seta cg_brass "0"
seta cg_hudGrenadeIconEnabledFlash "1"
seta cg_hudGrenadeIconInScope "1"
seta fx_marks "0"
seta fx_marks_ents "0"
seta fx_marks_smodels "0"
seta r_aaAlpha "off"
seta r_altModelLightingUpdate "1"
seta r_distortion "0"
seta r_dlightLimit "0"
seta r_dof_enable "0"
seta r_drawSun "0"
seta r_drawWater "0"
seta r_fastSkin "1"
seta r_glow_allowed "0"
seta r_multiGpu "1"
seta r_specular "0"
seta r_texFilterAnisoMax "1"
seta r_texFilterAnisoMin "1"
seta r_zFeather "0"
seta ragdoll_enable "0"
seta sm_enable "0"
seta sm_maxLights "0"

Offline Regs

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 12:23:25 AM »
Ok next I got a little more scientific.  Here are the minimum config changes it took me to get 90fps in dry runs through all the maps so I retain all the eye candy.  I've also added in my favorite preference tweaks as well.  Once again I'm not using any AA because that's too big of a performance hit.  My 1680x1050 resolution is ok.  It's not quite as nice as say a BigShay or LilShay setup but it's still pretty sharp without AA.

seta r_distortion "0"

There is no reason to have distortion on.  With it off you can see through the fires in levels and there is no distortion coming out of your gun muzzle so you can track targets better when firing.

seta r_dof_enable "0"

Same concept here.  There is no reason to have your vision clouded while aimming down the sights.  Better target tracking.

seta r_drawWater "0"
seta r_zFeather "0"

Fancy water and smoke effects kill my mid range ATI 4850s and they always have.  This was the source of my troubles in Estate and Rundown and I should have known from the start.

seta cg_hudGrenadeIconInScope "1"

I like to know if a grenade falls by me while in the sniper scope.

seta r_multiGpu "1"

Ok this one is probably just placebo.  So far in my MW2 tests this setting hasn't seemed to help my FPS but it did give a significant increase in COD4.

Offline BigShay

• Site Owner
  • Colonel
  • My hands are shaking!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 12:20:17 PM »
Wow...thanks Regs!  I'm going to have to give a try to the r_distortion, r_dof_enable and cg_hudGrenadeIconInScope variables.

Offline LilShay

• Site Owner
  • Colonel
  • Back In Black
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 07:38:21 PM »
Awesome Regs! Nice work man....I'll try a few things out. 

Offline BigShay

• Site Owner
  • Colonel
  • My hands are shaking!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 07:39:32 PM »
I can't find where I asked you about the mouseSpeed command in COD games Regs.  What was it again?